Weight and sleep apnea

does any veteran really believe that sleep apnea is caused by being overweight when so many soldiers are diagnosed before leaving active duty

As a veteran and military retiree, yes I do believe weight along with many other lifestyle risk factors, such as diabetes, diet etc., can contribute to sleep apnea. This said, sleep apnea may well occur in individuals who have none of these risk factors. For example, as a other wise healthy person, I had an ischemic stroke in March of last year only to find out after the fact that I had severe, complex sleep apnea which very well may have precipitated the stroke.

In any event, if you are made aware that you may have symptoms of sleep apnea, get a sleep study soonest so as to avoid the wake up call I endured. I hope this helps.

It can also something else biological. In my case, I have a tiny airway and when I developed seasonal allergies, I also developed sleep apnea.

I am not a veteran, however I can tell you that I am aware that I have had sleep issues / stopping breathing in my sleep from the time I was an underweight teenager, to now where I am considerably overweight. There are other risk factors, although for many the triggering factor, or indeed only factor may be weight. For some weight loss means apnea goes away. I have several colleagues that are within their proper BMI that have OSA as well. It’s not just a disorder for fat guys.

I’m not a vet as I never was active upon enlisting in the National Guard. But I’ll tell you that obesity can influence your susceptibility to apnea related issues. It doesn’t guarantee it either but it’s a factor in this.

In 2016, I was 300 pounds and began pursuing bariatric sleeve surgery after I failed my CPAP compliance initiated from a severe apnea rating on a sleep study in '15.

I lost 100 pounds after the sleeve, and I’m on a ResMed 10 ASV Auto currently. Between BPAP and ASV sleep studies, my 74 AHI halved to 37, both rank severe.

Agreed to a certain point. I just don’t want people thinking that you have to be overweight to have sleep apnea, I was symptomatic when I was underweight as a teen and had no clue it was a problem.

I know I am a bariatric surgery candidate, my wife and I have discussed the option repeatedly, and she is strongly against this route due to associated risks. Basically she is afraid I won’t come out of the surgery.

I have lost now 45lbs since I started my weight loss program of diet and excersize,last year. I am still well over 300lbs, but am getting closer to 300 than 400, so I am happy with my progress. My blood panel is looking good, and as long as I can continue to stave off diabetes I am a happy camper.

I see your point on weight and agree. Being overweight is a factor that with other things indicate apnea. Weight by itself isn’t enough to signify whether one has apnea or not. Some thin people get apnea will some heavy people don’t and vise versa.

1 Like

Exactly my point… Honestly, at my weight, my health “SHOULD” be considerably worse. I am blessed to be where I am, and am working hard to lose the weight and fix the health issues I can.

FWIW my bariatric stomach surgery was a Sleeve not a bypass like you’d mentioned. Not telling you what to do, but you could Google bariatric sleeve to gain info. I’d be happy to fill you in as well on my surgery if interested.

PS my bariatric sleeve was worth losing 100 lb. off 300 lb. at my highest. I’m maintaining 200 fairly easy despite the fact that I’m disabled and can’t exercise.

Don’t get mne wrong, I want to, but I don’t really feel like I can without some support from my family. It’s hard to explain but my wife and her side of the family REALLY don’t trust doctors. She’s terrified I’ll go under anastesia (I probably misspelled that) and not come back out…

It’s not entirely rational, but it is what it is…

No need to explain further and no hard feelings over here. Your reasoning against is good enough. I wish you success in whatever other weight loss method you pursue.

i’ve been overweight for most of my life since early teenage until a few years ago when i decided to become vegan. due to weight issues i’ve also developed sleep apnea (including many others). what i’m trying to say is that medicines and doctors are extremely important, but proper food is no less important. i drastically decreased daily medicine intake and although i’m still suffering from some health issues, food greatly changed my life.
dbhost, you’re definitely right that weight loss means apnea goes away too!

Not to be contrarian, but to be specific, I am not, nor did I asset, that weight loss will make apnea go away. I was actually underweight when I first noticed symptoms I later learned were sleep apnea.

Another way to look at it is mathematically.

To get a sum of say 5, you would add 4+1, but you could also do 3+2, or 2+2+1, or, you get the idea.

Different variables come together to get an end result of sleep apnea. Weight can, and often is a causal, or majorly contributing factor, but also weight gain can, and often is the result of apnea.

In my case, I seriously doubt if I lost the extra weight, the apnea would go away. I am hopeful however that with weight loss, I may be able to switch from a CPAP to a non powered appliance.

Please don’t misunderstand this. I am NOT saying weight control isn’t important, it is, VERY important. All I am saying is that it is don’t put all your hope in weight loss. It’s a very important component, just not the only one.

It should be noted, I am down 48lbs from my peak weight, with no change whatsoever to my apnea. I have a long way to go, like I said, I have no hope for change in my treatment, at least yet…

I want to buy my life back though. Weight has been both the cause, and effect of other health issues. I am hopeful through steady weight loss, my health issues will become less and less.

1 Like

yes that definitely agree with you and i understand every single word you said. Sleep apnea doesn’t always have to do with overweight. But there are a lot of situations in which losing weight by dieting well is going to solve or at least help a bit with apnea.

1 Like

The link between excess weight and sleep apnea is well established. If overweight and obese people lose weight, it would make both sleep apnea and other health problems [such as heart disease] go away. Losing just 10% of body weight can have a big effect on sleep apnea symptoms.

I think sleep apnea doesn’t have anything to do with overweight problems. But in case of sleep apnea you can opt for medications. Waklert 150 mg is a smart drug-containing Armodafinil as the active pharmaceutical ingredient. Smart drugs are used for improving cognitive ability, memory, mood, etc. One should a few things about Waklert before consuming it. Take a look at active composition, usage instructions, precautions, warnings, and side effects.