Shortness of Breath After Using CPAP Overnight

I have been on CPAP therapy for over 15 years and have had shortness of breath after I awaken and take CPAP mask off. I then nebulize which of course takes care of the problem. Is this a common occurrence for most folks on CPAP therapy?

I have mentioned this to several doctors and they have said to keep on with the nebulizer. I am currently using the Res Med Air Sense 10 which is 2 years old and the data reports “good compliance”. Thanks for any input.

Tallgal68.

Hi @Tallgal68

May I ask, please? Have you ever been tested for a respiratory problem? Is the shortness of breath limited to awakening? Do you feel winded upon physical exertion?

Your CPAP therapy seems to be going well. Congrats!!

MotherT

1 Like

Yes, the SOB is mainly limited to “after awakening” on CPAP therapy. I do
have restrictive lung disease but I am on Nebulizer and inhalers as needed
for that. I had lung function tests done 6 weeks ago and the pulmonologist
said I had restrictive lung disease not COPD.

Thank you for asking…

Tallgal68

I believe it is and I agree with what the doctors said.

Just my $.02, I have had OSA for 18 year’s, you have enough going on with breathing issue’s. Positive pressure may be working against you, have you looked into a device called Inspire2, it treats OSA in a whole different direction. This gave me my life back.

Hi Tallgal68.

I had been on cpap for 18 months, then over to apap since October last, all the way through my treatment have had mask and pressure problems, and a sleep doctor that would not listen to my complaints, now after finally getting through to the staff at the sleep clinic, and telling them of the great difficulties I am having breathing, they tell me to stop using my cpap altogether and have to go for a to night sleep study and investigation in May.

I AM NOw VERY WORRIED, as t what the cpap has done tto my lungs?
have I cause to be worried, any advise from out there?

I have been to my GP and been on nebulizer had antibiotics, and now an Ventolin inhaler.so ant help will be gratefully received,

Mother T, could you also advise, many thanks.

I believe, from your description of the situation, that the sleep clinic staff wants to see what is going on by performing a study. I would not be concerned that you have damage to the lungs because of the CPAP. It sounds like you have some other things going on, so let the sleep staff and doctors help find a solution to your problems.

Let us hear from you after the study, and thank you for sharing, @badsleeper

Thank you for replying Mother T, will keep you informed.

1 Like

hi Mother T.
have had my sleep study but have to wait up to 2 weeks for my results, which I find ridiculous, but thats the way it is here in Ireland, will let you know when I do how it went.

hi Mother T.
At last have been told by my machine provider, (not the clinic by the way) that there are going to LOWER the pressure on my machine, so am going to have this done today, I just hope that it is going to work for me now, well fingers crossed.