Question on gasping for air

Hi, I’m new here, just have a general question. I am awaiting approval of a sleep study through my drs office but in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced my symptoms which I think are sleep apnea symptoms. For the last two weeks I have been waking up suddenly and gasp for air, it is really frightening and then I try to go back to sleep and in about an hour and 1/2 approximately, it happens again. Now recently I have been though lot of anxiety, but never have experienced this before, so I believe it’s sleep apnea and I think I will feel better when I find out, I have no breathing problems when I am awake. I have also gained about 10 lbs, which I am trying to get off. Everything I read on the internet says that the person wouldn’t be aware they woke up? Thank you

Of course you should consult with your doctor, but with the weight gain you might want to consider that you might have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).

thanks for replying, that was something else I was thinking, but no heartburn or anything. I am right now on a major diet.

I had the same symptom and believe me I can empathize with you. It is scary. Later sleep studies confirmed severe central and obstructive sleep apnea. My life on the respirator has drastically improved, as I’m sure yours will too as soon as you get the sleep studies. Good luck.

ty Hamish, I just want to get these studies done, Drs don’t seem to be in any hurry to help.

I never had ANY symptoms of sleep apnea, never had any gasping episodes, headaches, nothing. They discovered my sleep apnea when I was hospitalized because they put that probe on my finger that tests your oxygen saturation and mine kept dipping whenI fell asleep(down to 87-88%) Had a sleep study; they said I had “mixed” sleep apnea and 83 events per hour.(mixed means some obstructive and some central apnea) Got put on CPAP, that didn’t fix it. 5 years, numbers pressure changes, and two additional sleep studies later they said I have severe central sleep apnea. Got a different machine on ASV mode and seems like this is doing the trick. My point: Not everyone has the same symptoms, some people have NO symptoms. Treatment for sleep apnea is not an exact science. Try this, try that… years go by… Nobody is in a hurry with sleep medicine.