Introduce Yourself

So happy you are here, Charles!

I too have asthma. I have found that it is easier if I use my nebulizer before I put on the CPAP. I also found that when my asthma is bad, my lungs feel better if I set the humidity lower. So, I use pillows when I feel good and a full mask when I do not. Also, even when I wear a full mask, I use AYR gel to keep my sinuses from getting so dry that I have nosebleeds.

I have apnea. Often watch the dreams. I can not breathe. Today I dreamed again that I was drowned. Wake up in horror. Now only twice a week. I signed up with a doctor.I’m scared

Hi all. I’m a 37 year old male, 5’11’’ 191lbs (power lifting/bodybuilding back ground) who’s been experiencing daytime fatigue and general malaise for over 4 months now. I just had an in-home sleep study completed and am awaiting the results. My question is, how is it possible to suddenly develop sleep apnea? Or was it slowly coming into play over the years? More to come.

Welcome @AntonRx - It could be either scenario you mentioned depending upon the type of apnea you have (or not). Let us know how your study turns out. You can read more about sleep apnea at www.sleepapnea.org

Hi Everyone!

My name is Homer and I’ve been diagnosed by Kaiser Sleep study that I have obstructive sleep apnea. I came sleep study because whenever I sleep, my mom will tell me that I snore so loud and when I wake up in the morning, my mouth is so dry, and I feel very tired. All these things are very new to me. I found this community because I’m looking for a way that I’ll be able to get it in the least expensive way, especially I’m in college and I’m having financial issues. I hope I’ll be able to get it soon and have a very good sleep again.

1 Like

@homerxiii
This link will take you to information about the CPAP Assistance Program (CAP). Please let me know if you have any further questions! https://www.sleepapnea.org/community/cpap-assistance-program/

I am a 1-hr member and need to know the following:

1. If I am logged in or not.
  2. How to login and logout.
  3. How to post a question or share an experience.
    Thanks.
1 Like

@Bewildered -

1. If you are seeing this you are logged in.
  2. Your device should save your login information for you.
  3. To post a question, please do just as you did to ask these questions. Always remember to hit send after filling out the question field.

If you need further assistance, contact me (MotherT) at: asaa@sleepapnea.org

Thanks and I hope this helped!! :slight_smile:

What brings you to our community? I’m here to see about alternatives to a Trilogy100, I can’t afford it even with medicare covering 80% I’ve had 2 sleep studies so far, and I averaged 208 occurrences an hr :grimacing:

**Tell us about your current sleep routine?**I get about 5 hrs sleep on average, 2am till 7am.
Finish this sentence: “Sleep is3 R’s. Rest, Reset, and Relief!

I love those 3Rs!!

Otto is asking for any experiences regarding device alternatives.

Hi my name is Thomas, I have practiced as an RRT as a night shift charge/supervisor in the ED, ICU and nursery for 6 years and I recently moved to the sleep lab at the beginning of the year for a few reasons. The first reason was my health I have many leg issues but enough of that. The second reason was because I needed a new challenge and I have OSA and have been wearing a cpap for roughly 7 years. I though the combination on acute care, chronic lung disease management and personal experience with OSA, would help others coming into have a sleep study. I learned about this community from my department director. My sleep routine is horrible as I work night shifts and my body keeps going into that shift workers disorder where I sleep for 2 hour up for 2 sleep for and back and forth. Sleep is the single most important way to lead a happy, healthy, fulfilled life. Without good sleep one is negatively impacting every single aspect of their lives, from poor energy to heart problems to depression and a increase in any pain that everyone deals with from day to day. Sleep is the foundation on which we build our daily lives and our health.

1 Like

Wise advice, @Tom11980 ! Thanks for sharing, and WELCOME to the sleepapnea.org Forum!

What brings you to our community?

Research into being able to live a more normal life with sleep apnea in regards to recreational activity. (Camping).

Tell us about your current sleep routine?

Wash my mask, hose and tank in the afternoon when I get home from work, let them dry. At bedtime fill the tank with clean purified water, and hook up the mask / hose, put it on, and power on the CPAP, from there hope and pray for sleep while my mind won’t shut up.

Sleep is (Fill in the blank).
Frustratingly elusive to come, and infuriatingly short when the alarm is set to go off. Completely refreshing once I am allowed to rise naturally…

1 Like

Hello my name is tony and I have recently started using a cpap. I have a friend she keeps her cpap clean but still has trouble sigh her sinuses.as far as I know no mold in the machine but we have worked through all normal causes if anyone can tell me what to suggest to her on second life next time I see her on again I would appreciate it because I want her to feel great and not wake up exhausted like I was before I got my machine.

Hello my name is Alan Parker and I am a registered respiratory therapist and soon will also be a registered polysomnographic technologist. I have worked for several years in sleep medicine and enjoy helping patients with issues and troubleshooting to solve these issues.

I have moderate obstructive sleep apnea while sleeping on my back and I currently use positional therapy to treat it, but will navigate to CPAP to treat it as my shoulders and back are feeling the effects of sleeping on my side and stomach.

Sleep is essential and is one of the single most important things we do beyond eating and breathing. It is crucial that receive enough sleep nightly to be able to have quality of life including, but not limited to having energy, thriving, being mentally capable, controlling emotions, etc… It is unbelievable how much sleep dysfunction occurs. Hopefully as a community we can help to educate one another to treat and eliminate sleep issues and help our society to be better as a whole.

Hi, I’m Dave with a hint of sarcasm.

I’m interested in gaining knowledge in my rather unique Overlap Syndrome. I’ve been on ASV successful for over 2 years, but COPD seems to be on the increase a bit.

I’m a member on another Apnea forum, I learn how to and why I need to have changed my settings, and I’ve done it successfully. Until recently that is. I want to learn about this Overlap Syndrome, which device to beat it into submission with, optimize my own settings, and enjoy sleeping with a low number of apnea events again.

Sleep is wonderful when your alien octopus delivers the best apnea therapy it is capable of delivering.

That is correct on IPAP and EPAP, as EPAP is lower of the 2. This allows you to exhale under less pressure more easily.

Thanks Dave. I am currently trying to make my decision to stay on BiPap or give it up. My doctor seems to be absolutely clueless and my supplier…well, I am pretty sure that I could stop somebody on the street and get a more educated answer than I get from them.

I am so tired every day. I have a lot more issues and just found out I have even more. So, I have an appointment with my primary care doctor Wednesday. I have a copy of my sleep study, he has all my brain aneurysm and stroke information and I now have an updated pulmonary function test and my low dose CT scan results. I am just going to throw it all in a pile with my ever increasing AHI chart and let him explain to me why I should continue. I snore but not loud enough to bother anybody and I don’t even snore every night. My sleep doctor doesn’t even care that I am still snoring.

I am just so exhausted every day and my sleep doctor has no answer other than give me a stimulant for daytime sleepiness. I am thinking if I wasn’t up half the night fighting my mask and trying to sleep I might not be as tired when I get up. I wasn’t this tired before sleep apnea.

I’ve kinda been there too, just swap your other medicals for mine. I was actually better off without BPAP than on it, but that’s because of my high tendency to have central apnea.

I can’t make you do anything, but I’d keep at that xPAP therapy. If you want the free advice, I’d suggest you read the sleep data and making your own setting edits with data knowledge to help make it work better. I’d even go as far as telling you How and Why on that.

I really don’t like seeing anybody on any xPAP fail. Yes I know the reality is there’s a select few that were diagnosed with apnea and no xPAP of any variety can help. It’s very rare and your undiagnosed AHI would have been very low anyway.