I need advice for powering a travel CPAP

Long story short, I have been on CPAP therapy now for just about 10 years, and in many ways it has radically improved the quality of my life, and in one very important to me way, has been crippling.

You see I am an avid camper and fisherman, and I prefer places out of the way, away from crowds, which sadly often means away from electrical power.

I’ve tried powering my CPAP using a small Harbor Freight generator, but there is no sleeping while that dumb thing is running… So I finally knuckled under and with some leftover / unspent FSA money from this year, bought myself a travel CPAP, a Z2 standard, with the 12v power cord.

Now obviously I don’t want to run it off of my trucks battery because, well I want the truck to start when we go to leave. So I am looking for portable power options that will allow me uninterrupted sleep, even if I want to sleep in, that doesn’t cost a fortune, doesn’t weigh a ton, and preferrably doesn’t need me to run the chainsaw generator every day to recharge it…

So I am looking to see what folks are doing. I do have an Everstart 1200amp jump starter pack with a battery, I just don’t know if the battery will last long enough for me to not have to recharge it every day…

Amazon shows a dozen or so battery backup systems for cpaps that range from $117-$299. Find the one that is right for you! I’ve been thinking about it because our development is experiencing power outages this year after not a single outage for 18 years!

For what it’s worth, I have an Everstart 1200 amp jump box with a 12v power port. I have seen the math done, and with my old now dead Respironics, with the humidifier turned off I should get between 12 and 16 hours run time on it. I should probably test this…

I am working on designing a truck camper for my half ton truck and am seriously considering adding a converter, inverter, and at least 1 100 amp hour lithium ion battery (those things are SPENDY) but until that time, I am stuck with a tent…

So long winded story to question…

Do you know if the battery packs they sell can be bought with FSA $$? I need to use it before I lose it…

Okay so I have been doing some reading from the pop up camper folks. I am still a tent camper, although I am working on putting together a sleeper in my truck cap. Here is what they are talking about.

Group 27 Deep Cycle AGM battery (90 Amp Hr.)
Harbor Freight 100w solar panel / charge controller kit.
Camco battery box.
12V power port, wire, fuse etc…

That is NOT the method I am using now, it should be obvious I am not happy with my method although it works.

My setup.
Z2 Standard CPAP at 14cm with Qtube, heat / moisture exchanger, and 12v power cable.
Everstart J45TKE jump starter pack with 12v power port. With a full charge I can get 16hrs run time out of the CPAP before I need a recharge.
Harbor Freight Tailgator 900w max / 700w running 2 stroke generator to recharge the jump starter pack.

I am looking at options. I know the jumper pack doesn’t offer a very large battery, and a deep cycle AGM with at least 90 amp hours would keep me running much longer between charges. This could prove VERY important in an emergency situation such as hurricane / loss of power…

So yeah, I was fishing for what other folks were doing that allowed them more run time.

The factory battery backups for CPAPs according to my research, including talking with the respiratory therapy techs, are not intended for multi night usage but rather for keeping the CPAP going for a couple of hours should there be a power failure that is recovered. Not likely to happen quickly enough in a hurricane sitaution.

Mind you, I am pretty sure my use case is different from yours. I live in Coastal Texas, where Hurricanes and strong electrical storms like coming through and knocking us off grid. And my wife and I like camping, at places that don’t offer power services… So I kind of need to be self contained…