Chronic Insomnia and Medical Marijuana

I am a chronic insomniac. The problem has gotten progressively worse since being diagnosed with sleep apnea about 4 years ago. I had a mild case (approx 17 episodes/.hour) and I used a CPAP for nearly 3 years. I never adapted well to the mask. However, after losing 25 lbs., I was re-tested and I am down to 5 episodes/hour. This is borderline for needing a CPAP. So, I switched to an oral appliance. I adapted to this on the first night…

My insomnia has persisted and gotten worse during the past 4 years. I have tried hypnosis, herbal therapy, brain mapping, OTC and prescription meds… nothing has helped me increase from about 4 hours/night to the 7-8 hours I need. I exercise 7 days per week and avoid caffeine and alcohol. My doctor is recommending medical marijuana. I am hopeful that this will be the answer I need…
If anyone has had success in overcoming insomnia, I’d love to hear from you.

1 Like

Don’t use electronic devices (TV, Computer, cell phone) for 1 hour before bedtime. Something about the light on these devices interferes with sleep.

Use a relaxation process when get in bed. I tell my body parts to relax starting with my feet and working up through my body and deliberately relaxing each part. It really helps.

2 Likes

@pjannace - Please keep us updated on your progress.

May good sleep be with you!!

You could try adding a little exercise to your evening about four hours before you plan to go to sleep. Then make sure you kill the lights and electronics at least a half hour before you are ready for sleep.

1 Like

I read a study in MedicalNewsToday dated 12/4/2017 entitled “Cannabinoid drug found effective for treating sleep apnea” and it supports your doctor’s perspective. I hope it helps you. Please keep us posted!

I agree about avoiding electronic devices before sleeping and especially during the night. A Kindle Paperwhite can be used, however, as it is a different type of light, and the light can be set low for a dark room. Reading for a few minutes frequently induces drowsiness.

Reduce the amount of protein in your dinner or anything you eat before going to bed. A small snack before bedtime of a food that improves serotonin might be tried, say a small piece of banana with a small bite of whole grain bread.

Check your meds for their possible interference with serotonin. I found that tramadol (commonly used as a post-surgery alternative to true opioids) can release histamines and interfere with serotonin.

Darken the room as much as possible. Wear an eyeshade to completely blockout light. The convex ones that do not touch your eyes and allow room for your lashes work best. (E.g.Dreamgal; black for men).

Lastly, this one seems strange, but I have found it to work. Leave your feet bare and uncovered. Your body will sense the need for warmth, will increase the warmth in your core, and this will induce sleep. Once asleep, your feet will find their way under the covers. Worth a try!